The following shows the work that went into Lagertha's Armor shirt from Vikings Season 2. The following show two shots of it:
1. I made a pattern from a cheap yoga mat from Fry's Electronics. (They sell EVERYTHING!) Using the pattern, I cut out the different pieces from the leather.
2. TOOLING TOOLING and MORE TOOLING!!!!!
3. Staining and finishing the leather pieces. Stained using a two-part system: Medium Brown and Antique Black detailing.
4. Chainmail time!! I wanted to make the chainmail look battleworn, so I had to take the Zinc-plating off of the mail. This is great because it makes it look worn/not so shiny new, however, the process makes it more susceptible to rust. In fact, the process makes it rust! So you have to brush the chainmail pieces off with a steel wired brush when you're done. (Soak the zinc-plated mail in white vinegar overnight, rinse in the morning and be ready to brush some chainmail when it dries!)
5. Attaching the chainmail to the leather. I used leather cording for this and a hand punch to crank out those holes.
6. DONE! All attached and put together.
7. I think it turned out pretty dern well!!!! Thanks for reading! :D